What is light therapy?
Light therapy is the term used to describe the application of light to the body, for treatment of a problem.
It’s an effective and non-invasive method to help a variety of conditions, such as; wrinkles, ageing, acne, damaged/dry skin, wound healing, SAD, depression, vitamin D, pain, inflammation, burns (including sun burn) and more.
It is universally suitable, regardless of skin type/colour, and can be used in conjunction with other treatments to enhance effects or reduce negative side effects.
Light therapy has been used in western medicine since the late 19th century, shortly after electric lights were invented, and is still in use clinically today (with the aid of improved technology like LEDs and lasers). At-home treatment is becoming increasingly common, although much is performed in clinics or tanning salons.
How does Light Therapy work?
Light therapy works by a variety of mechanisms:
- The primary type of light therapy. Works by increasing energy production, reducing inflammation and speeding healing.
- Useful for a variety of skin issues. Completely non-toxic.
- Similar to red light therapy, infrared is warming and penetrates deeper into the body.
- Useful for pain, nerve/brain issues and other internal issues.
- Used mainly for acne treatment and skin infections.
- Bacteria-killing blue light is mixed with inflammation-reducing red light.
Bright light therapy
- Helpful for SAD and general depression.
- Bright light rapidly reduces levels of melatonin, normalising body clocks.
UVB light therapy
- Used for raising vitamin D levels.
- Converts cholesterol in the skin into vitamin D, which circulates around the body.
Is light really that fundamental?
Light is essential to life on earth; not just to plants but also to animals.
Be it light from the sun, or from electric lights, light has a profound effect on our biology:
“Penetrating red light is possibly the fundamental anti-stress factor for all organisms. The chronic deficiency of such light is, I think, the best explanation for the deterioration which occurs with aging. Enzyme changes, free radical changes, structural and respiratory changes are all involved as consequences of darkness stress.”– Dr. Ray Peat, PhD
The skin absorbs light at various wavelengths, using it as an energy source to stimulate natural cellular processes. In this way it has a full body systemic effect; improving the immune system, synthesising protective hormones such as progesterone & testosterone, and also reducing stress hormones associated with insufficient energy production (cortisol, adrenaline, etc).
Light improves energy metabolism in cells, which then improves structure and ultimately function. This leads to improved blood circulation, collagen production, reduced inflammation and better hydration.
Can light therapy be used for beauty?
In the last 20 years, LED Light therapy has proven exceptionally effective for skin rejuvenation.
Whether it be eczema/psoriasis, wrinkles, small blemishes, sun burn, acne, scars, cuts or bruises – LED light therapy gives almost immediate visible changes in the skin.
This improvement to structure builds up over weeks, giving a stronger, more youngful foundation, even well after light therapy has stopped.
Is regular light therapy more effective than beauty creams?
Light therapy is 100% non-toxic, yet stimulates a core function of all life. Tens of thousands of scientific studies have been carried out on the beneficial physiological effects of light.
In contrast, most commercial beauty creams contain a slew of harmful chemicals, which absorb through the skin, potentially harming internal organs and metabolic processes. Scientific studies on commercial beauty creams are rare – most are not safe and have no evidence they work.
Light cannot be patented, so holds little profit value economically, despite its broad health benefits.. As with the pharmaceutical industry, product development and marketing funds go into profitable ventures, not necessarily into the most effective or healthy treatments.
What is a standard treatment like?
Treatment using LED light therapy is simple. For a light such as this, all it involves is exposing naked skin to a light for a few minutes. Using it longer than 15 minutes per hour will not increase results.
Frequency of use and length of use depends on the quality of your light therapy device. Most on the market are too weak to have any real effect. With most of our products, the following protocol can be followed:
Exposure for 10 minutes, 3 times per week gives the dose that is effective in most studies for most conditions.
Therapy can be applied daily, for example immediately before bed and upon waking. This will reduce stress levels significantly. It can be applied several times throughout the day, especially in winter, with no adverse effects.
How safe is the treatment?
Sunlight is harmful in excess, so what about LED light?
Appropriately designed light devices do not contain harmful ultraviolet A light like the sun does, and so do not lead to sunburn or damage.
From this perspective, good light therapy devices are superior and more versatile than natural sunlight.
LED light therapy is clinically proven to be safe for everyone, with absolutely no risk of negative side effects.
Why LEDs for light therapy?
LED stands for light emitting diode. A technology that is almost 100 years old.
- Has recently increased in efficiency exponentially, making it the most energy efficient light source available today.
- An LED is essentially a mini light bulb, with customisable colour control. They can be designed to only emit a single specific wavelength of light, making them ideal for optimal light therapy.
- LEDs are typically smaller than other light technologies, while having a longer lifespan and requiring less maintenance. They turn on to full brightness almost instantly and are much harder to break than typical bulb based lighting.
- On top of all of that, LEDs can emit light in a controlled direction, eliminating the need for large reflectors.
Our light therapy devices are custom-designed and made with the latest generation of LEDs to provide the maximum lumens per watt of electricity. This translates to the most health benefit for the least cost.
All products are contained within a single unit, and we guarantee are the most effective on the market.